Wednesday, August 4, 2010

A Month in Georgia Part 2: Grandpa's in Snellville

The next day was Sunday and time to move all our belongings to Grandpa's House. So we packed up and dropped everything off before heading out to Stone Mountain for Fletch's second birthday party. We decided to have a birthday party for Fletch in Atlanta, so all of his family and Atlanta friends could help him celebrate. We all met up at Stone Mountain to have a picnic and then roam around the park. We all enjoyed some food and cupcakes. 

Some people had to get going to other planned arrangements or to go home and enjoy air conditioning, but the rest of us went to explore the park. Luckily Grandpa scored us some wristbands to enjoy some of the attractions for free. The first thing we did was take the cable car Skyride to the top of the mountain. I didn't take any pictures from the cable car for a few reasons. 1. A very large dude with a huge bulky backpack was in front of me and wouldn't stop squishing me. 2. I wanted to hold on for dear life. 3. Did I mention I'm slightly afraid of heights? and 4. Did I also mention that I've seen that James Bond movie Moonraker, where Jaws bites through the cable and then a fight scene ensues on top of a swinging cable car high above the city below? Needless to say, we got to the top of the mountain in one piece. Stone Mountain reminds me a lot of Enchanted Rock in Texas. I'm glad we took the short cut up the Skyride because I was wearing flip flops that day. It wasn't easy walking around at the top in those with Fletch on my back. It was hazy outside because of the heat and humidity, so I didn't get perfect views of the city. I did however get some other great views.

Here is my hazy view of Atlanta:
After we came back down we decided to take a ride on the scenic train loop. This is no kiddie train people, it is a full size train! The cars are open air, but the engine is a locomotive. Fletch, as usual had to find the nearest pole to hang on to with the kung-fu grip. It's adorable until the ride has ended and you have to pry his fingers off, which starts the pterodactyl shriek from hell. It's worth it to see him enjoy it so much, really it is. The train takes you around the entire mountain and you get a great view of the carving on the mountain.
(The three men are Jefferson Davis, General Robert E. Lee and Lt. General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson. Yes, I had to look that up. I am not a Civil War buff, nor a fan of the Confederacy)
After the train ride, we headed back to Grandpa's. There is a laser show at night that is presented on the carved wall. It starts at 9:30, which is past Fletch's bed time. So we went back Thursday night to see it. According to the hubby, it is a must see, and institution of Atlanta and a perfect place for making out. It was a little cheesy, but I wasn't expecting the Pink Floyd laser show. 
While we were at Grandpa's, it was a busy week. Wednesday night we went to dinner in the city to celebrate Anyess' birthday, which happens to fall on Bastille Day. Considering she's a Frenchy, it was a double occasion for celebration. We went to Amuse and the food and company were great. We ended the night with a birthday shot, per the birthday girl's request.

Grandpa decided to take a few days off so he could hang with Fletch and me. We went to Chic-fil-A on Thursday for lunch, but not the one he works at. Then on Friday, Grandpa, Gammy, Fletch and I headed over to the Yellow River Game Ranch. They rescue animals that can't be put back into the wild and they have a large assortment. There are deer, peacocks, chickens and other various non-deadly animals that roam around. We were approached by a small deer looking for some corn. We did not have any corn, so he decided to lick Fletch's toes instead. He was nice enough to let us give him a few pets.
Here is a montage of the animals we saw:
Then on Saturday, as a surprise for Anyess' birthday, we all met up to go to the 311/Offspring concert at Lakewood Amphitheatre. I love 311, and back in the day Daddy did too. Actually he and his best friends have seen 311 numerous times in their youth. So this concert was kind of like a family reunion for the boys. We all had a great time, as you can see.
Grandpa and Gammy were awesome for babysitting Fletch three nights while we stayed with them. We don't get the chance very often, so we had as much fun as possible. Sunday was time to pack up and move on to our next stop, Scott and Anyess' house in Grant Park. They live right by the zoo and close to downtown. 
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment